October has rolled in and a change in our weather is right around the corner. The very first cold front of the year (‘cold front’ being relative here in Florida) is scheduled to pass through Saturday afternoon, October 4. While it won’t drop the temperatures a whole lot, it will drop the humidity and it will definitely feel different.
For many, the change of seasons can also mean suffering from allergies and the flu….so what can you do to minimize suffering? According the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services:
• Getting plenty of rest
• Drinking clear fluids like water, broth, sports drinks, or electrolyte beverages to prevent becoming dehydrated
• Placing a cool, damp washcloth on your forehead, arms, and legs to reduce discomfort associated with a fever
• Putting a humidifier in your room to make breathing easier
• Gargling salt water (1:1 ratio warm water to salt) to soothe a sore throat
• Covering up with a warm blanket to calm chills
There are also some over the counter remedies that can lessen the effects and possibly shorten the length of your flu. These include Zinc lozenges and Echinacea (taken together), and Vitamin C.
Some homeopathic products that may also help ease certain specific flu symptoms are: